Cong leaders barred entry to Raj Bhavan
Patna: Senior Congress leaders faced major embarassment on Thursday when they were denied entry to Raj Bhawan to meet Governor Devanand Konwar to submit a memorandum against the MNREGA irregularities in Bihar.
The Congress leaders included Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister and AICC secretary Pawan Bansal, state party president Choudhary Mahboob Ali Kaiser, Bihar Youth Congress president Lalan Kumar and Congress Flagship Committee chairman Vijay Shanker Dubey had walked down from R block roundabout to Rajbhavan to submit the memorandum after sitting on a dharna.
Congress leader Vijay Shankar Mishra claimed that prior permission to meet the governor at 4 pm had been obtained by the party. "It was unfortunate that even a senior leader like Pawan Bansal was not allowed entry (into the Raj Bhavan)," he said.
Peeved with the incident NSUI workers and Youth Congress workers shouted anti-governor slogans demanding that he be recalled.
As the slogan shouting continued for sometime near the Raj Bhawan, district authorities intervened and persuaded the Congress supporters to vacate the high security area.
When contacted, Konwar told a news agency that he was not aware of a meeting scheduled with the Congress delegation. "Moreover I had not granted appointment to anybody at 4 p m."
Former MPs Desai Choudhary, Anil Kumar, Ram Naresh Yadav and several senior state Congress leaders, besides a large number of party workers participated in the dharna to highlight alleged irregularities in implementation of MNREGA in Bihar. They sought the governor`s intervention in the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal