Cong leaders likely to discuss Modi at brainstorming session
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could be a major talking point during the Congress Chintan Baithak at Jaipur in the wake of his electoral hat-trick that has seen growing speculation about his likely projection as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
This is the feeling among Congress leaders who insist that Modi factor is bound to come up for debate at the conclave called to decide the strategy for the Lok Sabha polls just 16 months away.
While BJP has not made any announcement about the future role of Modi, Congress leaders feel that there is no denying the fact that the Gujarat strongman would be the star campaigner of the opposition party and would occupy the centrestage.
Congress leaders are divided over the electoral outcome if Modi is projected the PM candidate by the BJP with one section feeling that such a move would consolidate the minorities behind the party.
Another section feels besides his Hindutva, Modi is also known for his penchant for development and administrative skills and his strategy to reach out to the people and Congress could ill afford to ignore the opposition challenge.
Congress has lost its sixth Assembly elections in Gujarat in a row.
Gujarat is the latest addition to a list of states where the party has not been in power for about two decades or more and the issue is expected to dominate at the party’s brainstorming session, party leaders say.
The Congress lost power in Gujarat in 1995, in Uttar Pradesh in 1989, in Bihar in 1990, and in Tripura in 1993. It has been out of power in West Bengal for more than three decades barring the brief stint as the TMC’s junior ally. In Tamil Nadu, it has not come to power on its own for well over four decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened