Cong leaders make beeline for Pranab’s residence
New Delhi: Even before the election results are to be declared for the President poll, friends, relatives and Congress leaders have made a beeline for Pranab Mukherjee`s Talkatora Road residence here to congratulate him.
Mukherjee is expected to emerge the winner by a comfortable margin in the poll and one of the first leaders to reach and greet him here was Rajasthan Chief Minister and Congress leader Ashok Gehlot.
Explaining his early arrival, Gehlot told reporters gathered outside that he had come early to congratulate Mukherjee as he anticipated a rush later.
Following Gehlot`s arrival, Congress party leader from Madhya Pradesh Suresh Pachauri also reached Mukherjee`s residence. Mukherjee also received partyman Manas Bhuyian, who is a minister in his home state of West Bengal.
By the afternoon more visitors congregated at his residence with former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Ajit Jogi and Maharashtra Congress leader Patang Rao Kadam being the known faces among them.
"I have come here to congratulate and have sweets," Jogi quipped while entering Mukherjee`s residential compound.
Outside the premises, Congress workers were distributing sweets and a seven-member band rendered the atmosphere festive with its celebratory music.
A sizeable contingent of security and police officers were posted at Mukherjee`s compound due to high movement of VIPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan