Cong leaders make beeline for Pranab’s residence
New Delhi: Even before the election results are to be declared for the President poll, friends, relatives and Congress leaders have made a beeline for Pranab Mukherjee`s Talkatora Road residence here to congratulate him.
Mukherjee is expected to emerge the winner by a comfortable margin in the poll and one of the first leaders to reach and greet him here was Rajasthan Chief Minister and Congress leader Ashok Gehlot.
Explaining his early arrival, Gehlot told reporters gathered outside that he had come early to congratulate Mukherjee as he anticipated a rush later.
Following Gehlot`s arrival, Congress party leader from Madhya Pradesh Suresh Pachauri also reached Mukherjee`s residence. Mukherjee also received partyman Manas Bhuyian, who is a minister in his home state of West Bengal.
By the afternoon more visitors congregated at his residence with former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Ajit Jogi and Maharashtra Congress leader Patang Rao Kadam being the known faces among them.
"I have come here to congratulate and have sweets," Jogi quipped while entering Mukherjee`s residential compound.
Outside the premises, Congress workers were distributing sweets and a seven-member band rendered the atmosphere festive with its celebratory music.
A sizeable contingent of security and police officers were posted at Mukherjee`s compound due to high movement of VIPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues