Cong may go in for general elections this year: Naidu
Chennai: The Congress leadership is mulling to go for Lok Sabha elections in this year itself after the end of Monsoon session of Parliament, BJP leader M Venkiah Naidu said on Saturday.
"We have reports that the Congress leadership is thinking of early elections to the Lok Sabha and they may be held in 2013 after the end of the Monsoon session (of Parliament). That`s the reliable information we have got," Naidu told reporters here.
He attributed the UPA government`s recent decisions on increasing subsidised LPG cylinders from six to nine, distribution of Aadhar cards and direct cash transfers to early polls.
Naidu said the Congress would be defeated whether the elections were held in 2013 or 2014 as the UPA government had `failed` on all fronts.
He said the BJP was the only alternative and the "so called" Third Front was only a mirage. "Disgruntled and discredited leaders cannot form and lead the Third Front."
On the execution of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, Naidu said, "A strong public opinion compelled the government to finally act."
He added that the Centre needed to explain the reasons behind the "abnormal delay" in his execution, as ordered by the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?