Cong members question need for CAG meeting on coal allocation
New Delhi: Some Congress members of Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee on Friday questioned the need for a meeting by the CAG on the issue of coal block allocations saying much of it has already come in public domain.
However, their suggestions were rejected by PAC Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi as CAG Vinod Rai and his team of officials made a detailed presentation on the Government auditor`s report on coal-block allocations.
Some Congress members also took objection to the decision of the PAC Secretariat to send several hundred newspaper clippings to the members of the Committee on CAG`s report on coal block allocations.
Members claimed that most of the news reports were critical of the Government and did not present a fair picture.
While withdrawing the clippings, Joshi said the documents were sent to update the members on the issue in a simple language.
In its August 23 meeting, PAC had decided to examine the four latest reports of the CAG, including the one on coal block allocations.
The other CAG reports are on Delhi International Airport Ltd, Ultra Mega Power Plants and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).
In its report on coal blocks, CAG has said that private firms are likely to gain Rs 1.86 lakh crore from coal blocks that were allocated to them on nomination basis instead of competitive bidding, which amounted to loss to national exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read