Cong MLAs prevented from attending Modi`s function
Panchmahal/Dahod: Three elected
representatives of Opposition Congress were on Thursday detained
here to allegedly prevent them from attending an official
programme where Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was to
The Congress leaders, who were detained citing security
reasons, were released after the function `Garib Kalyan Mela`
organised by the state government in Kadana taluka of
Panchmahal district, police said.
Congress MLA from Santrampur seat Paranjayadityasinhji
Parmar, and Lunawada MLA Hirabhai Patel were detained by
Panchmahal police, while Congress MP from Dahod Dr Prabha
Taviad was detained by Dahod police.
"Parmar and Patel were detained under section 67 and 69
of the Bombay Police Act and later released after the function
was over," Panchmahal superintendent of police J R Mothaliya
Mothaliya said the legislators were detained taking into
consideration security concerns during the function.
According to Dahod police Sub-Inspector M S Vaghela
Taviad was detained and released after the function was over.
"Policemen have been standing outside my house since
morning and had asked me not to attend the `Garib Kalyan Mela`
citing security reasons despite me having an official
invitation as a people`s representative," Parmar said.
"This is dictatorship. I am a representative of the
people and I have every right to attend a government function
in my constituency," Parmar said.
In Dahod, Tavida was initially stopped from attending a
farmers workshop organised by the government, but was later
allowed to attend it.
After the workshop when she was going towards Kadana in
Panchmahal, Dahod DySP N D Parmara and other women constables
stopped her and asked her not to go there.
Taviad argued that Kadana falls under her Lok Sabha
constituency and she has every right to attend the government
function. But the police remained unperturbed and detained her
in Dahod itself.
Congress sources said that after release Taviad and other
members of the party submitted a memorandum to the Dahod
district collector which said that they have every right to
attend the Garib Kalyan mela, but were allegedly detained
Condemning the incident, Leader of Opposition in the
state assembly Shaktisinh Gohil said that they would give a
complaint in this regard to the Governor.
He alleged the Modi government was not following protocol
while organising these functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family