Cong MP alleges manhandling by police in Gujarat
New Delhi: Gujarat government on Wednesday came under sharp attack in the Lok Sabha from non-NDA parties when a Congress member from the state claimed she was manhandled by police, putting the BJP on backfoot.
Members of the Left parties, SP, BSP, Trinamool Congress, AIADMK and RJD got together and said swift action was necessary.
Some members said it should be referred to the Privileges Committee and stern action should be taken against the guilty.
Girija Vyas (Cong) raised the issue on behalf of party colleague Prabha Kishore Taviad and said the latter was not allowed by the police to attend the Gujarat Divas celebrations at Dahod.
She claimed that Taviad and some Congress MLAs were manhandled by the police and taken 300-400 kms away in a police vehicle on Tuesday. Taviad, according to Vyas, was provided medical help only at 8 pm and later allowed to board a train for Delhi.
As a visibly upset Taviad showed bruises on her arms, Vyas claimed that she was pulled by her hair and manhandled. This prompted Congress members to shout `shame, shame` as their BJP counterparts remained silent.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj said since the issue was serious, she would talk to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and get back to the House.
Amid slogan shouting by Congress members, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal suggested that the matter be referred to the Privileges Committee of the House.
PC Chacko, who was in the Chair, said the Speaker has already received a privilege notice from Taviad and the matter should be left at her discretion. Chacko is the chairman of the Lok Sabha Privileges Committee.
Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI), Basudeb Acharia (CPI-M), Vijay Bahadur Singh (BSP), Rewati Raman Singh (SP), Lalu Prasad (RJD), M Thambidurai (AIADMK) and Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar (Trinamool) termed the matter as serious and demanded swift action against the guilty.
Dasgupta said referring the matter to the Privileges Committee will only delay a decision.
"This is not a matter between Leader of the Opposition and the Chief Minister. It is total violation of fundamental rights of an MP. The Centre must ask the state government to explain and then inform the House," the CPI leader said.
Chacko said several complaints relating to the privilege of MPs have been received by the Speaker. "Wait for the Speaker`s decision," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!