Cong MP questions Mamata`s Dhaka tour decision
New Delhi: Questioning Mamata Banerjee`s decision to opt out of the Prime Minister`s Bangladesh trip, a senior Congress MP on Monday said the West Bengal government should adopt a "balanced approach" in an effort to maintain
good relations with the neighbouring country.
"The Prime Minister going does not mean everything is being finalised. In case there is any tension, it can be sorted out later. My personal view is that she should go," Lok Sabha MP Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said.
He was asked whether Banerjee should go with the Prime Minister.
Banerjee pulled out of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Dhaka reportedly upset with the Teesta River water sharing treaty. Banerjee and chief ministers of four other states bordering Bangladesh were scheduled to accompany Singh
on his visit starting tomorrow.
Though Banerjee did not give any reason for her decision to opt out, Chowdhury said, "My view is if there is any difference, then they should talk to the Government of India and take a balanced approach as we want and we should have good relations with our neighbour."
On the issue of water sharing, he said, "I think that the lower riparian state anywhere in the world is entitled to have their share of water."
"This is an internationally recognised convention. That is why inspite of our hostilities with many countries in and around India, we still are maintaining the same sharing of water," Chowdhury said.
"Just see... for example, Pakistan. See for example, China. We are vehemently opposing the construction of dam on the river Brahmaputra. Because if the dams are supposed to be constructed there, in future, it will hamper the flow of the
Brahmaputra River," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre