Cong MP submits Jan Lokpal Bill to Parl panel
New Delhi: Congress MP from Bareilly, Praveen Singh Aron, has submitted Anna Hazare`s Jan Lokpal Bill for consideration before Parliament`s Standing Committee which is examining the government`s version of the legislation.
Confirming the development, sources said the committee, headed by Abhishek Manu Singhvi, will take a decision on whether or not to take up the Bill during deliberations over the Lokpal issue at its meeting scheduled later.
Submission of Hazare`s Bill before the Parliamentary Standing Committee by a Congress member assumes significance in the light of recent indications by the government that it was working to accommodate some of the recommendations of Team Anna over the Lokpal issue.
BJP MP Varun Gandhi has already given a notice in the Lok Sabha for tabling the Jan Lokpal Bill as a private members` bill.
However, uncertainty remains on whether or not Gandhi`s bill would be taken up in the current session as at least one month`s time is required after giving notice for taking up any private member`s bill in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!