Cong MPs from Telangana call-off strike
Hyderabad: Congress MPs from Telangana region on Tuesday called off their fast after Andhra Pradesh government agreed to withdraw all the police cases registered against students during the agitation for a seperate state last year.
Congress Rajya Sabha MP K Keshava Rao announced the decision of the ten MPs to call of their hunger strike after state Home Minister P Sabita Reddy and other ministers conveyed the government`s decision to withdraw the cases against the students which were.
After a series of discussions Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy had with ministers and other ruling party leaders from the region, the government agreed to withdraw the pending 967 cases.
Earlier, in the wake of the demands made by Telangana political leaders cutting across party lines, the government had agreed to withdraw about 600 of the about 1,200 cases. These will be in addition to the cases withdrawn earlier.
In a political drama being played out in full public view ahead of the Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana due later this week, gone on an indefinite fast to demand immediate withdrawal of police cases against pro-Telangana students, while party MLAs from the region joined them today.
What’s interesting is that the Congress government has agreed to bow before the demands of its MPs and MLAs, while earlier refusing to accept the same demands of other political parties.
This clearly indicates the party’s aim to gain political mileage ahead of the Srikrishna Committee report.
Asked if the move to go on fast had the blessings of party president Sonia Gandhi, S Satyanarayana – one of the MPs on fast - said "every good thing has her blessing".
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had announced last year that the police cases against the students would be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video