Cong MPs from Telangana divided on resignation issue
New Delhi: Differences of opinion tonight seemed to have cropped up among Congress MPs from Telangana with some of them saying there was no need to resign after a statement by party indicated it was not against a separate state while others insisted on quitting.
Nizamabad MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi, one of the MPs at the forefront of the agitation for a separate state, told reporters that he did not see any need for the resignation after P C Chacko said the party was not against creation of Telangana.
“I don’t think there is any need for resignation now. Chacko’s statement is clear,” Yaskhi said.
However, his colleagues Rajaiah and Ponnam Prabhakar said they were firm on submitting their resignations to Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi.
“It might be his (Madhu’s) personal opinion. We want to send our resignation letters,” Rajaiah said.
The MPs had announced yesterday that they would forward their resignation, along with a letter explaining the reason for it, to Sonia Gandhi today.
Chacko said earlier in the day that "we are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," he said.
Chacko`s initial response was that the party`s position on Telangana is well known and that "it`s only a question of time" when the decision will be announced.
Asked specifically whether he meant to say the separate state of Telangana will be announced and it is just a matter of time now, the Congress spokesperson responded by saying "you are right. We have taken a position. Our party position is very clear..But whatever decision has to be taken has to fulfil some Constitutional obligations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore