Cong MPs go on fast over Telangana
Hyderabad: Congress MPs from the
Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh Monday began a fast
demanding withdrawal of police cases registered against all
students and said they were not satisfied with the lifting of
only 600 "minor cases".
Eleven Congress MPs and 20 legislators started fasting
at Gunpark in front of the state Assembly, rejecting the
appeal made by Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy last night,
asking the Parliamentarians not to undertake the proposed
"This is not a protest against our own government. The
students are not hardcore criminals. One year has passed since
we are making this demand. This is a self-infliction to bring
moral pressure on our government," Congress Rajya Sabha member
K Keshavrao said.
Expressing dissatisfaction with the withdrawal of
about 600 minor cases against the students, Keshavrao demanded
that all cases be withdrawn.
He denied that the MPs are indulging in "political
posturing" by undertaking a fast.
Keshavrao also demanded the withdrawal of the central
paramilitary forces deployed in Telangana.
When asked if their fast has the blessings of Sonia
Gandhi, another Congress MP Sarve Satyanarayana said, "We have
the blessings of Sonia Gandhi for every good thing."
On a query about their threat of resignations,
Keshavrao said they will tender resignation to Sonia Gandhi
for pursuing the demands for introduction of a bill in
Parliament for the formation of separate Telangana.
Meanwhile, Telangana JAC convenor M Kondandaram
visited the MPs to express solidarity.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had last year
announced that police cases against the students would be
withdrawn in due course of time.
Political leaders from Telangana and other separate
statehood supporters demand that the government should
withdraw the cases as announced by the Home Minister.
During the just-concluded session of the Assembly, the
state government had announced withdrawal of only minor cases
against the students.
The MPs later shifted from Gunpark to new MLA
quarters, after police asked them to vacate the place.
Earlier, state ministers K Jana Reddy, B Saraiah and
several others senior Congress leaders called on the
protesting MPs to express their solidarity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi