Cong MPs want Rahul Gandhi as Leader of Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Pushing for Rahul Gandhi`s active role in Parliament, 10 Congress MPs have written to party chief Sonia Gandhi suggesting his appointment as the Leader of the Lok Sabha, saying it was the "need of the hour" to create a "sense of confidence" among the countrymen.
In their joint letter, the Lok Sabha MPs have said that as Leader of the House, Rahul would be able to speak "dynamically" on issues concerning the masses and inspire fellow Parliamentarians to follow his example, willingly and cheerfully.
"We think it is the need of the hour that Rahul should play a larger and proactive role in Parliament as the party is facing many challenges inside and outside Parliament," the letter said.
The MPs felt that Rahul would be able to strike a rapport with the Opposition and allies in a more effective manner.
"There indeed are many leaders but our country with nearly 50 per cent youth population demands for a young and dynamic leader. And over these years, Rahul has emerged as the most accepted youth leader in this country...He can attract youth and common masses which will pave way for better results for our party," they said.
They also said his active role in Parliament would create a "sense of confidence" among the countrymen. "This way, we feel that he would inspire fellow Parliamentarians to follow his example, willingly and cheerfully."
The post of Leader of the House in the lower house fell vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was nominated by UPA as its Presidential candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender