Cong-NCP spar over Maharashtra Wakf Board
Mumbai: NCP on Thursday targeted the Minority Development Ministry headed by the Congress accusing it of protecting N D Pathan, the Wakq Board CEO, who was arrested recently by the Anti-Corruption Bureau on charges of taking bribe.
Addressing a press conference, NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said that despite communication from the Centre regarding removal of Pathan from his post, and inquiry into his dealings by CBI in March last year as well as from the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), the state government had not acted on the issue.
Pathan was arrested by ACB for taking Rs 30,000 bribe.
Malik alleged that Pathan was given an extension for two years after his retirement by violating rules.
He also wondered why the government sat over a judicial commission report into the functioning of the Wakf Board which was set up in 2007.
Criticising the Minority Development Minister Mohammed Arif Naseem Khan, Malik alleged there was an attempt to create an impression in Urdu papers as if action had been taken against Pathan.
"The action is mandatory after a official is imprisoned for 24 hours," he said.
Reacting to charges, Naseem Khan said Pathan`s services had been terminated with immediate effect.
"The mandatory action is suspension while the government has terminated his services," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives
- Indian tablet market grew 14.4% in Q2 2016; Datawind continues domination
- From waiter to an Olympian in Rio: This is India's unsung hero Manish Rawat's story – HATS OFF!
- Do you know how harmful leading a sedentary lifestyle is? - Read
- HILARIOUS! Indian Twitter roasts Sanjay Manjrekar for siding with Piers Morgan