‘Cong or Prez Rule’ comment was twisted: Jaiswal
Kanpur/New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sriprakash Jaiswal had to clarify hours after he created a political storm by asserting that if Congress doesn’t get a majority in Uttar Pradesh then the only option left would be the imposition of President’s Rule in the state.
Speaking to reporters in Kanpur, his parliamentary constituency, Jaiswal had said, "Those who lack confidence are looking for alliance ....Congress will not forge any alliance. If Congress gets majority then it will form the government...if some seats are short then there is no option other than President`s rule."
Jaiswal also said that results of UP polls would be "shocking"
and Congress would get majority.
However, the moment he arrived in Delhi, he issued a hurried clarification, saying that he was misquoted.
“I was not giving any threat…why should a leader of party that is going to win in Uttar Pradesh say something like that? My statement was twisted,” the Union Coal Minister said.
“I was only explaining the constitutional reality, in case the Congress fails to get a majority as we are surely going to be the single largest party,” he added.
Notwithstanding the clarification- as per reports issued on instructions from the Congress HQ -, the damage appears to have already been done as the Opposition has latched on to his comments. Both the Samajwadi Party and the Bhartiya Janata Party have decided to take the matter to the Election Commission, while the Bahujan Samaj Party termed the Jaiswal’s comment as sign of Congress’ desperation.
The fifth phase of voting for the Assembly elections in the state are currently underway; counting of votes is scheduled to be held on March 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH