Cong panicky over Modi`s popularity, hitting below the belt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday ruled out any rethink on Narendra Modi as its PM candidate, notwithstanding the raging controversy over the snooping on a woman by Gujarat Police, dubbing the matter as a "conspiracy" by a "panicky" Congress which was "hitting below the belt".
Party leader Nitin Gadkari also said that it was the right and the privilege of the Chief Minister to maintain surveillance and claimed Congress Chief Ministers too do it regularly. He also alleged that the Congress at the Centre "misuses" CBI and the IB.
"There is no need. It is a 100 per cent Congress conspiracy to malign Modi by using the Intelligence Bureau and the CBI," Gadkari told PTI when asked whether there has been rethink in the BJP on the PM candidate in the wake of the snooping row.
Congress, he alleged, has been resorting to politics of character assassination by targeting opposition leaders in a "below the belt manner".
His refrain was that the Congress has turned "panicky" due to growing popularity of Modi and was playing "low level politics out of frustration".
"Marta kya nahi karta (One who is drowning tries to clutch to anything)," he said referring to Congress and the tactics adopted by it.
Gadkari`s remarks came on a day when Congress demanded resignation of Modi as the Gujarat Chief Minister over the alleged illegal surveillance of the woman by state agencies and sought a probe by a sitting Supreme Court judge into the issue.
Senior Gujarat Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil also claimed that Modi had "very close" relations with the woman.
He said he had acquired information through RTI on "how public exchequer was misused to benefit the victim of the snooping" and threatened to reveal it if Modi denied the charges.
"I am not doing so now because the RTI information has the name of the woman which I don`t want to reveal."
Gohil also alleged that a "compromise" was arrived at later and the state government allotted a "big project in Gandhinagar running into crores" to a company run by the woman in which two of her brothers were directors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22