Cong paying lip service to Anna agitation: Irani
Bhubaneswar: Accusing Congress of giving lip service to anti-corruption movement launched by Anna Hazare, BJP women wing chief Smriti Irani on Friday slammed UPA government for its reluctance to debate Lokpal issue in Parliament under a rule that entails voting.
"Though the Prime Minister yesterday (Thursday) asserted that the Centre wanted a strong and effective Lokpal, today (Friday) the UPA government was reluctant to discuss the issue in Parliament under a rule that entails voting," Irani told reporters here.
Stating that BJP had given notices for discussion on the issue in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha under rules involving debate as well as vote, the TV star-turned
politician said it is now clear that Congress has all along been giving a lip service to the anti-corruption movement.
The entire process has put a question mark on the intentions, activities and operations of the UPA government, Irani said, adding one fears that Congress might again cheat and deny justice to the people who have joined the anti-graft movement in large numbers.
Hitting out at Rahul Gandhi for speech in Parliament on Lokpal, she said the AICC general secretary was only bothered about his constituency.
Though Rahul showed concern for farmers in Bhatta Parsaul, he does not seem to be bothered about firing on peasants in Maharashtra, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie