Cong paying lip service to Anna agitation: Irani
Bhubaneswar: Accusing Congress of giving lip service to anti-corruption movement launched by Anna Hazare, BJP women wing chief Smriti Irani on Friday slammed UPA government for its reluctance to debate Lokpal issue in Parliament under a rule that entails voting.
"Though the Prime Minister yesterday (Thursday) asserted that the Centre wanted a strong and effective Lokpal, today (Friday) the UPA government was reluctant to discuss the issue in Parliament under a rule that entails voting," Irani told reporters here.
Stating that BJP had given notices for discussion on the issue in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha under rules involving debate as well as vote, the TV star-turned
politician said it is now clear that Congress has all along been giving a lip service to the anti-corruption movement.
The entire process has put a question mark on the intentions, activities and operations of the UPA government, Irani said, adding one fears that Congress might again cheat and deny justice to the people who have joined the anti-graft movement in large numbers.
Hitting out at Rahul Gandhi for speech in Parliament on Lokpal, she said the AICC general secretary was only bothered about his constituency.
Though Rahul showed concern for farmers in Bhatta Parsaul, he does not seem to be bothered about firing on peasants in Maharashtra, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- World record: 23-year-old Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas slams T20 century off 21 balls
- Donald Trump hints at taking India's help in dealing with `unstable` Pakistan
- Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo remains doubtful for 2nd leg against Manchester City
- Happy that gymnastics is finally getting attention in India: Dipa Karmakar
- Oh-so-cute! Shah Rukh Khan spends candid time with Yusuf Pathan's son – Pic inside