Cong plays bystander as Pawar battles IPL controversy
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure on
Union Minister Sharad Pawar over the IPL bid controversy,
Congress today persisted with its bystander act, suggesting
that the NCP leader should do all the explaining on the issue.
"The issue involves BCCI, Pawar and the inquiry going
into the IPL. If there are any facts give it to it
(inquiry). Congress has nothing to comment. You should ask
these questions to Pawar," AICC spokesman Abhishek Singhvi
In reply to a volley of questions by reporters, Singhvi
signalled that it was for Pawar to fend for himself in the
wake of BCCI chief Shashank Manohar`s statement that the IPL
Governing Council did not know that Aniruddha Deshpande of the
City Corporation bid in his individual capacity for the Pune
Pawar, who is also former BCCI chief, and his
Parliamentarian daughter Supriya Sule have been embroiled in
the controversy over the bid for the Pune IPL team, which was
won by Sahara group, after it came to light that the Pawar
family had a 16 per cent equity in City Corporation.
But Pawar claimed that its MD Aniruddha Deshpande bid
for the Pune team on his own and the company`s Board was
against the move even though it allowed him to use the
company`s name on bid documents.
AICC Secretary Mohan Prakash reacted in a similar vein
saying that it was "unnecessary" for the party to react as
Pawar and his party NCP were "competent" to comment.
Asked about BJP`s demand for Pawar`s resignation,
Prakash said that the BJP should be patient till the truth
comes out in the inquiry.
Accusing the opposition party of not being interested
in reaching to the truth, he said that when the BJP was in
power in Rajasthan over a year ago, it was "close" to
suspended IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says