Cong practises politics of caste, religion to woo voters: Gadkari
Amethi: Claiming that his party does not believe in "the politics of caste and religion", former BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Sunday said it was the Congress which practised such politics to woo the voters.
"BJP is a democratic party which never believes in the politics of caste and religion, but it is the Congress which practises such politics to woo the voters," said Gadkari, before he attended a roadshow in Amethi, accompanied by actor-turned-party nominee Smriti Irani.
Asked about BJP`s electoral prospect in Amethi, where Irani is pitted against Congress vice president and sitting MP Rahul Gandhi and AAP`s Kumar Vishwas, Gadkari said, "There was a wave in favour of (BJP prime ministerial candidate) Narendra Modi, and its impact will be felt across the country."
"BJP will form the next government at the Centre comfortably," he added.
Before the roadshow, Gadkari addressed the gathering and said "the people are most hopeful in the leadership of Modi and believe that a change will take place to the scenario created by the corrupt Congress regime". The roadshow began from Devi-Patan, a place famous for its Durga temple.
Meanwhile, former Congress head of Sangrampur block in Amethi constituency Arun Singh today joined BJP. Singh, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly elections as an Independent, joined the saffron outfit, BJP district president Daya Shankar Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story