Cong practises politics of caste, religion to woo voters: Gadkari
Amethi: Claiming that his party does not believe in "the politics of caste and religion", former BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Sunday said it was the Congress which practised such politics to woo the voters.
"BJP is a democratic party which never believes in the politics of caste and religion, but it is the Congress which practises such politics to woo the voters," said Gadkari, before he attended a roadshow in Amethi, accompanied by actor-turned-party nominee Smriti Irani.
Asked about BJP`s electoral prospect in Amethi, where Irani is pitted against Congress vice president and sitting MP Rahul Gandhi and AAP`s Kumar Vishwas, Gadkari said, "There was a wave in favour of (BJP prime ministerial candidate) Narendra Modi, and its impact will be felt across the country."
"BJP will form the next government at the Centre comfortably," he added.
Before the roadshow, Gadkari addressed the gathering and said "the people are most hopeful in the leadership of Modi and believe that a change will take place to the scenario created by the corrupt Congress regime". The roadshow began from Devi-Patan, a place famous for its Durga temple.
Meanwhile, former Congress head of Sangrampur block in Amethi constituency Arun Singh today joined BJP. Singh, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly elections as an Independent, joined the saffron outfit, BJP district president Daya Shankar Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened