Cong president`s term extended to five years
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday amended its constitution to extend its party president`s term to five years from the current three years.
An amendment to this effect was passed at the 83rd Congress plenary which began in Burari on the fringes of the national capital.
The resolution was moved by senior leader Oscar Fernandes and approved by other party leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee,
Defence Minister AK Antony and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, senior ministers and scores of party leaders gathered here.
The amendment comes at a time when Sonia Gandhi is serving as Congress president for the fourth straight term -- the longest-serving chief of the 125-year-old party.
The plenary also marks the completion of the 125 years of Congress, which is the oldest political party in the country.
The party also amended its constitution to allow holding organisational polls once every five years as against three years at present.
Another key amendment pertained to meeting of the AICC at least once every year.
Earlier, the party constitution mandated that AICC should meet "not less than twice" every year.
The Delhi plenary is the first such meet of the party after it came to power for the second time along with other
UPA partners in the Lok Sabha elections last year. The plenary also adopted a condolence resolution mourning the death of some AICC and PCC members.
Gandhi and Dr Singh also felicitated freedom fighters for their contribution to the independence struggle.
Both the leaders came down from the dais to honour the veteran freedom fighters, some of whom broke down as they narrated their struggles to Gandhi and Dr Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days