Cong president`s term extended to five years
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday amended its constitution to extend its party president`s term to five years from the current three years.
An amendment to this effect was passed at the 83rd Congress plenary which began in Burari on the fringes of the national capital.
The resolution was moved by senior leader Oscar Fernandes and approved by other party leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee,
Defence Minister AK Antony and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, senior ministers and scores of party leaders gathered here.
The amendment comes at a time when Sonia Gandhi is serving as Congress president for the fourth straight term -- the longest-serving chief of the 125-year-old party.
The plenary also marks the completion of the 125 years of Congress, which is the oldest political party in the country.
The party also amended its constitution to allow holding organisational polls once every five years as against three years at present.
Another key amendment pertained to meeting of the AICC at least once every year.
Earlier, the party constitution mandated that AICC should meet "not less than twice" every year.
The Delhi plenary is the first such meet of the party after it came to power for the second time along with other
UPA partners in the Lok Sabha elections last year. The plenary also adopted a condolence resolution mourning the death of some AICC and PCC members.
Gandhi and Dr Singh also felicitated freedom fighters for their contribution to the independence struggle.
Both the leaders came down from the dais to honour the veteran freedom fighters, some of whom broke down as they narrated their struggles to Gandhi and Dr Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands