‘Cong pushing the country towards mid-term poll’
New Delhi: JD-U MP Shivanand Tiwari Wednesday hit out at Congress accusing it of "pushing the country towards a mid-term poll" and creating a "political crisis" by its decisions on FDI in mutli-brand retail, diesel hike and cap on subsidised LPG cylinders to households.
He demanded that the government should seek Parliament`s nod for the decisions as they "do not seem to have the majority support".
"These are not decisions of UPA but by Congress alone. They lack the support of the majority even within the government. These are decisions by a minority. If you are not being able to get your allies on board on the issues, how will you convince the nation? Congress is imposing its own decisions and creating a political crisis in the country due to its rigidity on these decisions," he told a news agency.
Tiwari, who is also the spokesperson o JD-U, said," SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav is categorically opposed to FDI and diesel hike. DMK is joining the coordinated agitation programme of the opposition on September 20 on these issues.
"TMC chief Mamata Banerjee has gone to the extent of withdrawing support from the government. This is not UPA`s decision but only that of Congress. How can you say these decisions are legitimate?"
The JD-U leader said, "Congress is pushing the country towards mid-term poll. Nobody wants a mid-term election in this poor country where the exercise involves huge expenditure".
He said that while major constituents and allies of UPA are opposed to the decisions, "RJD which has only four MPs and LJP whose chief Ram Vilas Paswan is the only MP from his party are backing the moves".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon