Cong questions Modi`s `silence` over Ram Jethmalani
Anand (Guj): Opposition Congress Tuesday questioned Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s `silence` over BJP Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani`s remark in which he termed Lord Ram as a "bad husband".
"We can`t call Mr Modi a monkey....Because the creature was innocent and an ardent follower of Lord Ram. If Modi calls himself a Rambhakt (devotee) then he should take on Ram Jethmalani who has passed the remark about Lord Ram," Modhwadia told party`s election campaign rally `Jan Vijay Nirdhar Sammmellan` here.
Speaking at a function in Delhi earlier this month, Jethmalani had said: "Ram was a bad husband. I don`t like him at all. Just because some fisherman said something, he sent that poor woman (Sita) to exile".
Modhwadia had kicked up a row earlier when he compared Modi with a monkey in the context of Ramayana.
Modi had retorted saying "if they (Congress) studied Ramayana well then they should have understood the significance of `vanar shakti` (monkey power)".
Taking the comparison in his stride, Modi, during his recent hi-tech 3D public address, stated that "I accept the title given by them (Congress) to me. I have got the chance to serve Gujarat, so the six crore Gujaratis are like Ram to me, I am their Hanuman".
Later talking to media on the sidelines of the rally, Modhwadia said he was hopeful of a solution on seat-sharing with NCP ahead of next month elections.
"Deliberations are on in Delhi about Congress-NCP seat sharing in Gujarat. I hope a solution to it shall be out soon," he told reporters.
According to party sources, Sharad Pawar-led NCP has staked claims on 11 seats, of which six are such from where Congress candidates have higher probability of winning.
Campaigning for Congress, party MP Sanjay Nirupam accused BJP of adopting double standards on the Lokpal issue.
"Why does the BJP, which is campaigning for Lokpal across the country, is dragging its feet on appointing Lokayukta in Gujarat. Why have they moved Supreme Court on appointment of Lokayukta?" he said.
Senior Congress leader Girija Vyas said states like Bihar, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan have raced ahead of Gujarat on the development front. "As compared to NDA regime, Gujarat was allocated 50 per cent more funds for development works during the UPA regime," she claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`