Cong rebukes BJP, says Sonia can become party chief 40 times
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday dismissed BJP`s
objection to a fourth term for Sonia Gandhi as party chief
saying she could become the head of the party 40 times.
"We do not discuss the constitution of another party...
Why four times she (Gandhi) could be the party president 40
times if the party wants," AICC General Secretary Janardan
Dwivedi told reporters rejecting BJP`s suggestions in regard
to the election of Gandhi.
Hitting hard at the main opposition, Dwivedi reminded the
BJP, "This democracy has seen that Jawaharlal Nehru was the
Prime Minister for 17 long years and almost similar was the
case with Indira Gandhi. Since, other people do not get a
chance they talk about it."
Visibly agitated over BJP`s charge, Dwivedi, who is also
the head of the party`s media department, said since Congress
was a democratic party, this (organisational election) is
being discussed. "It does not happen in any other party," he
Senior leader Oscar Fernandes, who is the Chairman of the
party`s Central Election Authority, dismissed the BJP charge
saying that the Congress was following its constitution while
electing its President.
"At the state level, a leader can be PCC chief for two
terms and not more, but this is not applicable to the Congress
President," Fernandes said.
He said the election of Gandhi for the fourth consecutive
term at the helm was a decision of the party and its workers
and suggested it was none of BJP`s business to talk about it.
The AICC reaction came close on the heels of BJP
spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad remark that Gandhi should
offer the position of party chief to somebody outside the
Gandhi family just as she had "sacrificed" the post of Prime
"Sonia Gandhi is going to become President of the Congress
for the fourth time. Obviously, there would be no opposition.
In accordance with the Congress constitution, no office-bearer
can become the president of any block, district or state unit
for more than two terms," Prasad said.
He alleged that Gandhi was the "tallest leader" of her
party exercising authority without any "public
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?