Cong rebukes BJP, says Sonia can become party chief 40 times
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday dismissed BJP`s
objection to a fourth term for Sonia Gandhi as party chief
saying she could become the head of the party 40 times.
"We do not discuss the constitution of another party...
Why four times she (Gandhi) could be the party president 40
times if the party wants," AICC General Secretary Janardan
Dwivedi told reporters rejecting BJP`s suggestions in regard
to the election of Gandhi.
Hitting hard at the main opposition, Dwivedi reminded the
BJP, "This democracy has seen that Jawaharlal Nehru was the
Prime Minister for 17 long years and almost similar was the
case with Indira Gandhi. Since, other people do not get a
chance they talk about it."
Visibly agitated over BJP`s charge, Dwivedi, who is also
the head of the party`s media department, said since Congress
was a democratic party, this (organisational election) is
being discussed. "It does not happen in any other party," he
Senior leader Oscar Fernandes, who is the Chairman of the
party`s Central Election Authority, dismissed the BJP charge
saying that the Congress was following its constitution while
electing its President.
"At the state level, a leader can be PCC chief for two
terms and not more, but this is not applicable to the Congress
President," Fernandes said.
He said the election of Gandhi for the fourth consecutive
term at the helm was a decision of the party and its workers
and suggested it was none of BJP`s business to talk about it.
The AICC reaction came close on the heels of BJP
spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad remark that Gandhi should
offer the position of party chief to somebody outside the
Gandhi family just as she had "sacrificed" the post of Prime
"Sonia Gandhi is going to become President of the Congress
for the fourth time. Obviously, there would be no opposition.
In accordance with the Congress constitution, no office-bearer
can become the president of any block, district or state unit
for more than two terms," Prasad said.
He alleged that Gandhi was the "tallest leader" of her
party exercising authority without any "public
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket