Cong resolution attacks BJP, CPM on corruption
New Delhi: Seeking to turn the table on the Opposition on the issue of scams, Congress on Sunday launched a broadside against BJP and CPI(M) suggesting that the two were no different when it comes to corruption.
"The BJP has unleashed a flood of corruption in the political arena just to grab power... BJP has demonstrated its moral bankruptcy and political hypocrisy; so too parties like the CPI(M) and others who have actively indulged in corruption in the states under their rule," the political resolution of Congress Plenary said.
Noting that the UPA-I government was supported by Left front, which subsequently withdrew support, the resolution said that the Left parties "thereafter have been working in tandem with the BJP in opposing the Congress and the UPA.
It said that a number of regional parties like TDP, JD(U) and BJD also continue to work in collaboration with BJP in opposing Congress and its allies in UPA.
Alleging that the BJP has a history of "double standards and double speak" on issues of serious corruption involving senior-most leadership and occupants of highest offices including those of Chief Ministers and Ministers, the resolution said that the main opposition party "remained in a state of denial or stubbornly sought to divert attention by indulging in "political theatrics".
The party also mounted attack on the Left for the "cycle of violence" in West Bengal, Kerala and Tripura where the latter is in power.
"Congress emphatically rejects all attempts to perpetrate a cycle of violence for political and electoral advantages by political parties," the party said in the resolution.
The party resolution also expressed concern over "violence and intimidation" in the poll-bound West Bengal, where Congress-Trinamool alliance is confident of wresting power from the Left.
"Congress is alarmed about the increased instances of attempts to control and capture areas and zones by violent means and intimidation.
"Politics based on capture and recapture of areas and attempts to create safe zones by violence and physical intimidation against political opponents and general masses of population must be defeated," the resolution said alluding to the violence in Lalgarh area of West Bengal.
"Coerced displacement of people from their political persuasion and belief cannot be allowed. Congress condemns this politics," the resolution said.
The assertions are significant as Congress ally Trinamool Congress has umpteen times raised the issue of alleged harassment of Trinamool Congress workers at the hands of the CPI(M) led government in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared