Cong ridicules BJP for criticising Prez`s address
New Delhi: Ridiculing BJP for its criticism of President Pranab Mukherjee`s address to Parliament, Congress Thursday wondered the Opposition party "must be sleeping" when a "very optimistic picture" of the country`s socio-economic realities was being presented.
"There were so many things in the President`s speech on the issue... They must be sleeping. Sleeping is also a kind of corruption," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, reacting to BJP`s allegations that the address was silent on the issue of corruption.
Party spokesperson PC Chacko said, "President has presented a very optimistic picture of socio-economic realities India is facing today... He praised youths as the greatest national assets and their aspiration is going to guide this government... Youths who constitute the majority of population."
Party MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi said the speech should be seen in totality.
"There is no aspect of Indian society and life which has not been covered. I believe such statements (by BJP) on President`s speech are not good.
"I do not want to belittle the importance of the day by reacting to BJP`s criticism. I want to know if there has been any Presidential address which has not been objected to by the BJP," Singhvi said.
Chacko said the address gave a clear direction that the aspiration of youths are going to guide UPA government and underlined not only aspiration but anxieties also.
"Government proposes for introduction of Food Security Act which is going to be the most important legislation in this session. Expectation of the government from the Opposition is that this session should be a very productive session," the Congress spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?