Cong ridicules BJP for criticising Prez`s address
New Delhi: Ridiculing BJP for its criticism of President Pranab Mukherjee`s address to Parliament, Congress Thursday wondered the Opposition party "must be sleeping" when a "very optimistic picture" of the country`s socio-economic realities was being presented.
"There were so many things in the President`s speech on the issue... They must be sleeping. Sleeping is also a kind of corruption," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, reacting to BJP`s allegations that the address was silent on the issue of corruption.
Party spokesperson PC Chacko said, "President has presented a very optimistic picture of socio-economic realities India is facing today... He praised youths as the greatest national assets and their aspiration is going to guide this government... Youths who constitute the majority of population."
Party MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi said the speech should be seen in totality.
"There is no aspect of Indian society and life which has not been covered. I believe such statements (by BJP) on President`s speech are not good.
"I do not want to belittle the importance of the day by reacting to BJP`s criticism. I want to know if there has been any Presidential address which has not been objected to by the BJP," Singhvi said.
Chacko said the address gave a clear direction that the aspiration of youths are going to guide UPA government and underlined not only aspiration but anxieties also.
"Government proposes for introduction of Food Security Act which is going to be the most important legislation in this session. Expectation of the government from the Opposition is that this session should be a very productive session," the Congress spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India