Cong rules out change of PM in the run up to LS election
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday ruled out change of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the run up to next Lok Sabha elections but steered clear of questions whether he would again be at the helm if the UPA-III comes to power.
In reply to questions about change of the Prime Minister soon and holding of early Lok Sabha elections, Congress spokesman P C Chacko said "please do not think of a change of the Prime Minister....We have a strong Prime Minister"
He said "we have the time. Elections are far away. The question of leadership is not with us".
Chacko`s remarks came when reporters asked him about the possibility of Singh again becoming Prime Minister if UPA emerges victorious in next Lok Sabha elections.
The Prime Minister had sometime back neither ruled himself in or out of a third term.
"Holding of early elections is out of question. Government is in a comfortable position. No plan for early elections. We have an agenda to implement", he said.
With the ninth anniversary of UPA scheduled on May 22, Chacko highlighted the achievements of the coalition in various sectors and targeted the opposition for having "obstruction as the only slogan" in the pro-people legislative agenda of the government.
Replying to questions, he said Congress is for an early discussion and passage of the Food Security and Land Acquisition bills.
"We are not against a special session of Parliament. It will have to be a unanimous decision. If they are ready, we are ready for discussions", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands