Cong seeking allies as UPA-II enters final year of tenure
New Delhi: At a time when its allies have dwindled, Congress today said that its hand of friendship has been extended towards like minded parties.
"You do not make appeal to friends. You extend a hand and that is reciprocated from the other side. Our hand has been extended," party spokesman Raj Babbar said.
He was asked whether Congress would appeal on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the UPA-II that all like minded parties should come together when Lok Sabha polls are just a year away.
When told that the UPA has suffered desertions with key allies like the Trinamool Congress and the DMK walking away, he said that the party has seen in its 125-year history of friends coming in and walking out.
Asked who among the outside supporters will be present at tomorrow`s ninth anniversary function of the UPA at which the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will present report card of his government, Babbar said he was not aware of the mailing list.
He spoke in similar vein when asked whether BSP supremo Mayawati would be a `special guest` tomorrow like SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was last year.
Babbar took a dig at the BJP for deliberating on its strategy for the Lok Sabha polls which are one year away saying that it shows the "compulsion" of the opposition party in the wake of the defeat in Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez