Cong seeking allies as UPA-II enters final year of tenure
New Delhi: At a time when its allies have dwindled, Congress today said that its hand of friendship has been extended towards like minded parties.
"You do not make appeal to friends. You extend a hand and that is reciprocated from the other side. Our hand has been extended," party spokesman Raj Babbar said.
He was asked whether Congress would appeal on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the UPA-II that all like minded parties should come together when Lok Sabha polls are just a year away.
When told that the UPA has suffered desertions with key allies like the Trinamool Congress and the DMK walking away, he said that the party has seen in its 125-year history of friends coming in and walking out.
Asked who among the outside supporters will be present at tomorrow`s ninth anniversary function of the UPA at which the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will present report card of his government, Babbar said he was not aware of the mailing list.
He spoke in similar vein when asked whether BSP supremo Mayawati would be a `special guest` tomorrow like SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was last year.
Babbar took a dig at the BJP for deliberating on its strategy for the Lok Sabha polls which are one year away saying that it shows the "compulsion" of the opposition party in the wake of the defeat in Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City