Cong seeks to widen ambit of Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday sought to widen
the scope of the Lokpal Bill suggesting that the Joint
Committee to draft the legislation could also go into the
issue of corruption in the corporate sector and NGOs as part
of a comprehensive package against graft.
"The anti-corruption law in the US can look into the
functioning of the corporate sector and the NGO
(non-governmental organisations) sector and it should be
considered", party General Secretary Digvijay Singh told
However, he sidestepped questions as to whether a probe
into corruption in the corporate sector and NGOs was `the need
of the hour`. Singh also said that till now he considered
Hazare a Gandhian with impeccable secular credentials.
Replying to a question, he said that the National
Advisory Council headed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi
could also go into the Jan Lokpal Bill formulated by Hazare
and his supporters.
Asked whether Hazare and his supporters needed to be
represented in the NAC, he merely said that "his supporters
are already there".
Insisting that the issue of corruption would not end
with the enactment of the Lokpal bill, he said that a
comprehensive strategy needed to be evolved taking into
consideration matters like the five-point plan unveiled
by Gandhi at the party plenary for transparent governance.
Replying to a volley of questions on Hazare and the
campaign launched by him, he said that a battle had to be
fought at every level against corruption including action
against bureaucrats for disproportionate assets as was taking
place in Bihar and Jammu and Kashmir.
"It will be in the highest tradition of transparency if
they declare," he remarked when asked whether representatives
of the civil society in the Joint Committee on the Lokpal Bill
should declare their assets as the Ministers on the panel have
already done so.
Describing Hazare as a "very fine human being who has
done excellent service in the rural sector", he took a dig at
the Gandhian for praising Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
"There is no Lokayukta in Gujarat for seven years. The
post is vacant and he is praising Modi. Why does he not
pressurise Modi over the Jan Lokpal Bill and for appointing
the Lokayukta as people of Gujarat do not know where to
complain", Singh remarked.
Asked for his reaction over BJP veteran L K Advani`s
statement that Hazare`s fast achieved more in four days than
what the opposition had in two months when it was demanding a
JPC probe into the 2G scam, Singh said it was a "sad
reflection on the opposition".
Hyderabad: Eleven persons, including the
brother of an MLA, were arrested at Anantapur district of
Andhra Pradesh in connection with the killing of T Konda
Reddy, an accused in the murder of TDP legislator Paritala
Ravindra, police said on Tuesday.
Balaji, brother of TDP MLA from Penukonda constituency
Paritala Sunitha (widow of Ravindra), along with 11 others
were arrested for the murder of Konda Reddy, who was shot dead
in his house in Anantapur on the evening of February 22,
Anantapur OSD Kola Krishna said over phone.
Reddy, who was accused No 13 in Ravindra murder
case, was a Congress leader and former mandal president of
Reddy was arrested in Ravindra murder case in 2005 and
was released on bail in February 2009. He had survived three
attempts on his life earlier.
Balaji, Vinay Kumar alias Vijay, Chandra, Ramaji Naidu,
Vinod, Nagendra and Ramakrishna have been accused of
conspiring Reddy`s murder while the four others were arrested
on charge of giving shelter and providing vehicles to the
accused, Krishna said.
"All the eleven persons were apprehended from different
parts of Anantapur district. During interrogation Vijay
confessed to firing at Konda Reddy," the official said,
adding the motive behind the murder was rivalry and area
domination in the faction-hit Anantapur district in
Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh.
Police also seized one .38 revolver, one pistol, one 12
boregun and few sickles from the accused besides Rs 1.54 lakh
in cash and all of them have been sent to judicial remand,
Earlier, on January 3, G Suryanarayana Reddy alias Suri,
who was the prime accused in Ravindra murder case, was shot
dead by gunmen at Yousufguda area here.
Hyderabad Police had arrested four persons in connection
with his killing even as the main suspect and his one-time
aide, Bhanu Kiran, continues to remain at large.
Paritala Ravindra, the TDP legislator from Penukonda,
was gunned down by Suri`s followers in January 2005 and a
charge sheet was filed against 16 persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide