Cong slams Opposition over Food Security Bill
Lucknow: Stressing that UPA government wanted to benefit 67 per cent population through Food Security Bill, Congress on Monday said Opposition is creating hurdles because elections are close.
"This is not the first welfare scheme of UPA government, there are 14 other flagship schemes and the concept of Food Security Bill is also not new as it was mooted in 2009 and all states were also apprised of it then," spokesman of National Food Security ordinance, Mukesh Naik said here.
"Opposition parties seemed to think that the government might gain political advantage, and so they created hurdles in its way," he said.
Naik said that the aim of the government is to benefit 67 per cent population through the scheme.
"Since the elections are nearing, the ordinance is being viewed with a political angle but the government does not want to indulge in politics," he said.
He also refuted charges that the scheme would not benefit the farmers saying that it was a wrong notion.
The Congress leader, who would be touring other states too for creating awareness on the subject, said that views from all states, including Uttar Pradesh, political allies, non-Congress functionaries, social activists, economists and NGOs were also taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly