Cong steers clear of award of Padma Bhushan to Chatwal
New Delhi: Congress on Monday steered clear of
the issue of award of Padma Bhushan to controversial US
hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal in the backdrop of reports that he
was declared bankrupt and a case pertaining to a hotel was
still pending against him.
"The Home Secretary has said that the ministry was in
the process of collecting facts. We have nothing more to say
on this," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here.
Asked whether awarding Chatwal with the Padma award
was correct, he said, "let the government come to a
determination ... Let the government complete the process".
Tewari also downplayed the Batla House encounter issue
and the statement of party general secretary Digvijay Singh
who had raised doubts on the encounter.
He said there were concerns and the party general
secretary only reflected those concerns.
"A report has been prepared and he (Singh) is the
appropriate person to answer queries on that," the spokesman
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan