Cong steers clear of Mulayam`s praise for Advani
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday steered clear of Mulayam Singh Yadav`s praise of BJP leader LK Advani, close on the heels of another SP leader hailing Atal Bihari Vajpayee and terming the erstwhile NDA government as "more cohesive".
"We do not want to say anything. It may be the thinking of their party and not that of Congress. Can anyone stop anyone from making any statement"? party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
Asked whether the party sees the praise of BJP leaders by Samajwadi Party as strange and whether it showed the greater leaning of that party towards BJP, he declined to comment saying it was better the questions are put to SP.
Alvi`s remarks came close on the heels of Yadav, at a function in Lucknow, showering praise on Advani and used his comments to lash out at his son Akhilesh Yadav`s government in Uttar Pradesh.
"Advani sahab says UP is in very bad state and corruption is rampant.... Now I have to assess the situation when a senior leader like Advani says such a thing. He never lies. He always speaks the truth, as I have said many times.... I`ll go and meet him again," Yadav said.
Yadav`s praise for Advani comes days after SP General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav had said the former BJP-led NDA government was "more cohesive" and Vajpayee`s style of functioning better.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why