Cong strategy session on Sunday on breaking Parliament logjam
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, is expected to devise strategy on Sunday on how to break the logjam in Parliament over the
opposition demand for a JPC probe into the 2G spectrum controversy.
The Congress Core Group is likely to meet for the second time in a week to deliberate on the issue which has paralysed Parliament for six days, virtually turning the first two weeks of Winter session into a washout.
With no solution in sight, senior leader Pranab Mukherjee, who is trying to find a way out, appealed to all parties to help end the deadlock.
The government maintained its opposition to setting up of JPC, insisting that the matter could be looked into by the Public Accounts Committee.
Parliament witnessed uproar with unrelenting opposition bent upon its demand for a JPC, an issue which has remained a bone of contention between the rival sides. During the last
two weeks, the Lok Sabha has functioned for one day on the November nine when the Winter session began.
Earlier this week, government auditor CAG had indicted former telecom minister A Raja of committing irregularities in allocation of 2G spectrum causing a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer.
Meanwhile, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari accused the opposition of "running away" from the House.
"Neither the government nor the Congress party nor the UPA is running away from the House. If there is anyone found running marathon from the House that is BJP and other
opposition members," he told reporters outside Parliament.
Refusing to take the blame for the continuous impasse in the House, he said, "Responsibility of running the House lies with every political party which have members in the House. So therefore placing the onus on the government is erroneous,
misconceived and misplaced."
"The government has repeatedly said and I am reiterating that we are ready for discussion on any issue at any point of time in the House."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani
- Vijay Mallya to be declared PO if he doesn't turn up by July 27
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!