Cong supports Rita Bahuguna Joshi`s demand for CBI probe
New Delhi: Though the Congress has
distanced itself from the controversial remarks made by UPCC
chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi, it stood by her on Sunday in demanding
a CBI inquiry into the torching of her house, saying state
police could not be trusted in the matter.
Congress general secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh
Digvijay Singh demanded a CBI probe into the torching of
Joshi`s house in Lucknow on the night of July 15.
"UP police were there when BSP workers were torching
Rita`s house. Therefore, I don`t expect them to be fair. Till
the time the state government doesn`t recommend a CBI inquiry
into the incident, Congress workers will demand it at every
police station of the state," he told reporters here.
Joshi, who met Singh today, said she has emerged
stronger after being jailed, but made it clear that her
alleged derogatory remarks against UP Chief Minister were "not
Joshi will be meeting Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday.
Reacting to the CBCID probe ordered by the state
government, the Uttar Pradesh unit of Congress said it was a
mere eyewash to give clean-chit to BSP workers and the party
would continue to press its demand for a CBI probe to expose
those involved in the arson.
"The inquiry by the CBCID is an eyewash. How can a state
agency, which works under pressure of the government justify
the probe and nail workers of the ruling BSP?" Congress
spokesman Akhilesh Pratap Singh said.
The Mayawati government in UP has ordered a CB-CID
probe into the incident in which two BSP leaders have already
Joshi, who is out on interim bail till July 29, had
said that state police could not be trusted to conduct an
impartial inquiry and the case should be handed over to CBI.
Joshi was arrested on July 15 after she made
derogatory remarks against Mayawati for not doing enough for
rape victims. Some miscreants, allegedly led by some BSP
leaders, torched her house in Lucknow on the same night and
also burned down some vehicles.
Singh also took a dig at Mayawati, saying her comments
against Rahul Gandhi yesterday were nothing new as she has
been consistently attacking him on issues of Dalit
"She has not attacked Rahulji for the first time. She
has been consistently attacking Rahulji on issues of dalit
empowerment and his attention towards dalit issues," Singh
While touring his constituency Amethi, Gandhi had
accused the Mayawati government of being inactive and
Mayawati accused the UPA government of being
responsible for the state`s dismal power supply situation and
demanded release of a "white paper" on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'