Cong takes a dig at Modi`s glee over `UK stamp of approval`
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday took a dig at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi after he welcomed the UK government`s statement on resuming engagement with him, wondering whether he was happy about a "stamp of approval".
"So Modi has got the UK stamp of approval! Is Modi very happy that he has got a stamp?, party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters reacting to Modi`s remarks on it.
Ending a 10-year boycott of Narendra Modi imposed after the 2002 riots, the UK today said it has decided to resume engagement with Gujarat, prompting the Chief Minister to welcome the move as "better late than never".
The BJP was quick to react on the issue.
"Modi was never isolated. So many international companies have been investing in Gujarat. He has given good administration and governance," BJP chief spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad told reporters.
The British government has asked its envoy to India, James Bevan, to visit Gujarat and meet Modi and other senior figures in the state to discuss a wide range of issues of mutual interest, explore opportunities for closer cooperation and secure "justice for the families of the British nationals killed in 2002".
"Der Aaye Durasta Aaye (Better late than never)!! I welcome UK Govt`s step for active engagement & strengthening relations with Gujarat. God is Great," Modi tweeted, reacting to Britain`s Foreign Office Minister Hugo Swire`s statement.
Earlier in a statement here, Swire said he has asked the British High Commissioner in New Delhi to visit Gujarat.
The Congress spokespeson also took a swipe at Modi saying "Modi makes so many turns that finally you find that he moves in cycles".
She made the comment in response to questions about Modi`s recent statements on Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s foreign trips.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician