Cong takes pot shots at BJP over Gadkari issue
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday took potshots at BJP which faced a turmoil over the controversies surrounding its chief Nitin Gadkari but refrained from seeking his resignation saying it was that party`s internal matter.
"BJP has always spoken with a double tongue because they have dual memberships. Unless they become members of RSS, they cannot be members of BJP. That is the normal practice there," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary said.
Asked whether Congress will demand the resignation of Gadkari, Chowdhary said it is BJP`s "internal" matter which the party itself will decide.
"When the charges are proved, law will apply to all and sundry. At this moment, the BJP is seized of the matter."
Party leaders, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was Narendra Modi versus Gadkari, which is manifesting in such developments, when asked about Ram Jethmalani`s demand of the immediate resignation of Gadkari with the claim that three other senior leaders, including Jaswant Singh and Yashwant Sinha, were with him on the issue.
Jethmalani, who had first demanded Gadkari`s resignation last month, said Gadkari should not be given another term as President since it would harm the party in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
The recent BJP national council meeting had amended the party`s constitution to give Gadkari get a second term.
Ram Jethmalani`s son Mahesh, who is also an eminent lawyer, had yesterday quit BJP national executive, saying he cannot be associated with it as long as Gadkari remains the party President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy