Cong takes pot shots at BJP over Gadkari issue
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday took potshots at BJP which faced a turmoil over the controversies surrounding its chief Nitin Gadkari but refrained from seeking his resignation saying it was that party`s internal matter.
"BJP has always spoken with a double tongue because they have dual memberships. Unless they become members of RSS, they cannot be members of BJP. That is the normal practice there," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary said.
Asked whether Congress will demand the resignation of Gadkari, Chowdhary said it is BJP`s "internal" matter which the party itself will decide.
"When the charges are proved, law will apply to all and sundry. At this moment, the BJP is seized of the matter."
Party leaders, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was Narendra Modi versus Gadkari, which is manifesting in such developments, when asked about Ram Jethmalani`s demand of the immediate resignation of Gadkari with the claim that three other senior leaders, including Jaswant Singh and Yashwant Sinha, were with him on the issue.
Jethmalani, who had first demanded Gadkari`s resignation last month, said Gadkari should not be given another term as President since it would harm the party in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
The recent BJP national council meeting had amended the party`s constitution to give Gadkari get a second term.
Ram Jethmalani`s son Mahesh, who is also an eminent lawyer, had yesterday quit BJP national executive, saying he cannot be associated with it as long as Gadkari remains the party President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees