Cong takes pot shots at TMC over dancing girls controversy
New Delhi: With Trinamool Congress in the midst of a controversy over young girls dancing in skimpy clothes at a party foundation day function, Congress on Wednesday reminded its erstwhile ally that politicians should conduct themselves in a dignified manner.
"All politicians should conduct themselves in a responsible manner as the entire nation watches their action...They should not do anything, which gives others a chance to raise their fingers at politicians," said Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi here.
A controversy has broken out after young girls danced in skimpy clothes at a Trinamool Congress foundation day function at Bhangar in West Bengal`s South 24 Parganas district with a TMC leader allegedly throwing wads of currency notes towards them.
The incident, which went viral on TV channels, was condemned by various sections of society, including political parties and the women`s commission. They expressed their displeasure at the `vulgar` political culture.
National Commission for Women chairperson Mamta Sharma said, "It is shameful that they are celebrating this way. We need a change of mindset among all political parties".
Responding to another political controversy over the alleged hate speech of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, Alvi said the law will take its own course in the matter.
Akbaruddin Owaisi is brother of MIM chief and Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
"Law will take action against Owaisi if he has broken it. It will take its own course," Alvi said when his attention was drawn to a complaint has been filed in a Hyderabad court against the brother of the MIM chief.
Soon after the MIM parted ways with the Congress party a couple of months back, it has tended to become more aggressive in asserting its religious identity, political observers feel.
BJP in Andhra Pradesh has demanded that the state government should initiate criminal action against Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption