Cong takes pot shots at TMC over dancing girls controversy
New Delhi: With Trinamool Congress in the midst of a controversy over young girls dancing in skimpy clothes at a party foundation day function, Congress on Wednesday reminded its erstwhile ally that politicians should conduct themselves in a dignified manner.
"All politicians should conduct themselves in a responsible manner as the entire nation watches their action...They should not do anything, which gives others a chance to raise their fingers at politicians," said Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi here.
A controversy has broken out after young girls danced in skimpy clothes at a Trinamool Congress foundation day function at Bhangar in West Bengal`s South 24 Parganas district with a TMC leader allegedly throwing wads of currency notes towards them.
The incident, which went viral on TV channels, was condemned by various sections of society, including political parties and the women`s commission. They expressed their displeasure at the `vulgar` political culture.
National Commission for Women chairperson Mamta Sharma said, "It is shameful that they are celebrating this way. We need a change of mindset among all political parties".
Responding to another political controversy over the alleged hate speech of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, Alvi said the law will take its own course in the matter.
Akbaruddin Owaisi is brother of MIM chief and Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
"Law will take action against Owaisi if he has broken it. It will take its own course," Alvi said when his attention was drawn to a complaint has been filed in a Hyderabad court against the brother of the MIM chief.
Soon after the MIM parted ways with the Congress party a couple of months back, it has tended to become more aggressive in asserting its religious identity, political observers feel.
BJP in Andhra Pradesh has demanded that the state government should initiate criminal action against Owaisi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre