Cong unfazed by BJP demand for Ashwani Kumar`s resignation
New Delhi: Unfazed by BJP`s persistent demand for resignation of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, Congress on Monday rejected the charge of interference in the preparation of CBI report in the coal scam for the Supreme Court.
"The CBI works independently. There is no pressure of any kind. The Supreme Court has already directed it to file an affidavit. I think anyone making any kind of allegations should wait. Things will get clarified," party spokesman Rashid Alvi said.
The AICC has already ruled out resignation of the Law Minister in this regard. Alvi said he had no knowledge whether any meeting took place between the Law Minister and the CBI on the issue of preparation of report in the matter.
"Investigation is being done by the CBI in the matter under the supervision of the Supreme Court. Everyone has trust and confidence in the apex court and our legal system. We should wait for the affidavit," he said.
BJP has been pressing for constitution of a Special Investigation Team in the wake of reports of alleged interference in the preparation of CBI report in the coal scam.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley has also accused the UPA of being a "rogue government" that will not allow CBI to function independently.
The Opposition`s attack on the issue has come in the wake of reports last week that the Law Minister summoned CBI Chief and the report was changed and toned down after the meeting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged