Cong wants explanation from Jindal on Khaps
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought an
explanation from party MP Naveen Jindal for his remarks
favouring the Khap panchayats in Haryana and the praise he had
showered on the controversial extra constitutional bodies.
"I have sought an explanation," AICC General Secretary
in-charge of Haryana Prithviraj Chavan told reporters here
when asked what the party had done in the wake of the young
leader heaping encomiums over the caste councils of Haryana.
The explanation was sought after the Kurukshetra MP
praised the works of these caste councils at a Khap
mahapanchayat at Kaithal in Haryana and extended support to
their demand to amend the Hindu Marriage Act to prohibit same
sub-caste (gotra) marriages.
Congress sources later said Jindal has given an
explanation to the party.
"He (Jindal) has given an explanation. He is not in
support of them. The party has already made its stand clear
and the matter is closed now," a senior party leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India