Cong wants explanation from Jindal on Khaps
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought an
explanation from party MP Naveen Jindal for his remarks
favouring the Khap panchayats in Haryana and the praise he had
showered on the controversial extra constitutional bodies.
"I have sought an explanation," AICC General Secretary
in-charge of Haryana Prithviraj Chavan told reporters here
when asked what the party had done in the wake of the young
leader heaping encomiums over the caste councils of Haryana.
The explanation was sought after the Kurukshetra MP
praised the works of these caste councils at a Khap
mahapanchayat at Kaithal in Haryana and extended support to
their demand to amend the Hindu Marriage Act to prohibit same
sub-caste (gotra) marriages.
Congress sources later said Jindal has given an
explanation to the party.
"He (Jindal) has given an explanation. He is not in
support of them. The party has already made its stand clear
and the matter is closed now," a senior party leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'