Cong warns oppn against politics on Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Slamming BJP leader Sushma Swaraj for seeking dismissal of the Uttarakhand government over its handling of the flood tragedy, the Congress on Wednesday asked the Opposition to desist from playing politics over relief work.
Congress general secretary Ambika Soni, who is AICC in-charge for Uttarakhand, said that since MLAs and MPs have also now been made an integral part of the relief work under a new mechanism, "where is the question of politics. These MP and MLAs could belong to any political party."
"I consider it very unfortunate as it comes at this stage, when we have just begun to work on the second phase of relief work. We should resist politicising relief works.
"It is very unfortunate that top leaders make such comments because everyone is trying to do what best can be done... This is a massive tragedy that has happened to those who went there for pilgrimage....It is not proper to politicise those sentiments...This was playing with those sentiments. That was not the right statement," Soni told reporters.
Swaraj had on Monday tweeted that Uttarakhand government should be dismissed for being inept and incompetent in handling the crisis in the state.
The war of words between BJP and Congress over the Uttarakhand tragedy has intensified in last two days with the main opposition party claiming that the country has witnessed the "biggest failure" of the Centre and the Vijay Bahuguna government in dealing with the situation.
Taking a jibe at Rahul Gandhi, BJP spokesperson Shahnawaj Hussain had said yesterday, "the biggest VIP of the country went there (Uttarakhand) while our leaders were stopped".
Soni, however countered it saying that Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had disapproved of the visits of VIPs during the tragedy as that time rescue operation were more important but there are changes in the situation now.
"Nobody is stopping anyone`s visits but they should realise that they will have to work there under difficult conditions. There are not motorable roads at present so that anyone can drive in the area in a taxi," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow