Cong washes hands of controversy surrounding Tiwar
New Delhi: Congress today washed its hands of the controversy surrounding veteran leader N D Tiwari, who has been ordered by a Delhi court to give blood sample for DNA test in a paternity suit and restrained from leaving India until the test.
"This is his personal matter and we will not be able to offer any comment on behalf of the party in this regard. He is a senior citizen and it is between him and the court," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
The AICC`s reaction has come on a day when the Delhi High Court ordered its registrar to take police assistance for bringing defiant veteran Congress leader N D Tiwari here for taking his blood sample to decide the paternity suit of a man claiming to be his son.
The court came down heavily on the counsel, representing the 86-year-old Dehradun based Congress leader, after he sought adjournment of hearing on the ground that a petition has been filed in the Supreme Court on the issue.
It has fixed the matter for further hearing on May 21 before the Joint Registrar, who in turn will fix the date for collection of the blood sample from Tiwari.
The court in its order said that considering the age of Tiwari, the order of taking the blood sample is required to be implemented "as expeditiously as possible otherwise an irreparable loss is bound to visit the plaintiff".
The court`s directions came on the plea of 32-year-old Rohit Shekhar seeking to compel Tiwari to furnish his blood sample at the earliest to decide the four-year-old paternity suit. He has sought a judicial declaration that Tiwari is his biological father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail