Cong welcomes Azam`s remarks, says decision on PM later
New Delhi: A day after SP leader Azam Khan claimed an emerging consensus over Manmohan Singh`s name if UPA came to power again, the Congress today welcomed his statement, but said the issue of PM will be decided later.
"I am happy they (SP) also realise that UPA is again coming to power. As far as the issue of Prime Minister is concerned, it will be decided later," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said here.
In Barabanki yesterday, Azam had said Manmohan Singh may become the Prime Minister for the third time if the UPA retains power.
He had claimed that a consensus was emerging in UPA over the name of Manmohan.
"Manmohan Singh may hit the jackpot again as a consensus is emerging in UPA over his name if the alliance is voted back to power," the senior SP leader had said.
On BJP President Nitin Gadkari`s claim that a "senior leader" had approached him to topple the Congress-led UPA-II government, Alvi said until the leader reveals name of that person, nobody will trust his claim.
Gadkari had said in Nagpur last night that although the "senior leader" got in touch with him when he was the BJP president, he had outrightly rejected the "advice".
When asked about Maharashtra Congress chief Manikrao Thakre`s statement that the Lok Sabha polls will be held in November this year, Alvi brushed aside possibility of early elections, saying they will be held next year as per schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends