Cong workers` attack on Gogoi can`t be tolerated: Kejriwal
New Delhi: A day after RTI activist Akhil Gogoi was attacked by suspected youth Congress activists in Assam`s Nalbari District, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday slammed the Central government, saying that this was something the country cannot tolerate.
"Yesterday, Akhil Gogoi was attacked by some people in a village when he had gone to take stock of the flood situation in that particular place. It is being said that the people who attacked him were youth Congress workers. He was alone and it seems some media people protected him. With the kind of attack he faced, he would have been killed, if media persons had not saved him," Kejriwal said.
"He (Akhil Gogoi) is a credible voice against corruption. He has been raising his voice against corruption for many years. And now, at the centre, the Congress refuses to pass strong Lokpal Bill against corruption. The, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is stoutly defending 15 ministers against whom there are charges of corruption," he said.
"The prime minister is defending the corruption of Congress leaders rather than investigating. And at local level, the Congress workers attack those people who raise their voice against corruption. This is something the country cannot tolerate," he added.
Gogoi had gone to the Dharmapur area to take stock of the flood situation. He was allegedly attacked with sticks and sharp weapons, and suffered head injuries.
Gogoi alleges he was attacked at the behest of Assam`s Agriculture Minister Nilamani Sen Deka. He has been admitted to the Nalbari Civil Hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!