Cong workers` attack on Gogoi can`t be tolerated: Kejriwal
New Delhi: A day after RTI activist Akhil Gogoi was attacked by suspected youth Congress activists in Assam`s Nalbari District, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday slammed the Central government, saying that this was something the country cannot tolerate.
"Yesterday, Akhil Gogoi was attacked by some people in a village when he had gone to take stock of the flood situation in that particular place. It is being said that the people who attacked him were youth Congress workers. He was alone and it seems some media people protected him. With the kind of attack he faced, he would have been killed, if media persons had not saved him," Kejriwal said.
"He (Akhil Gogoi) is a credible voice against corruption. He has been raising his voice against corruption for many years. And now, at the centre, the Congress refuses to pass strong Lokpal Bill against corruption. The, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is stoutly defending 15 ministers against whom there are charges of corruption," he said.
"The prime minister is defending the corruption of Congress leaders rather than investigating. And at local level, the Congress workers attack those people who raise their voice against corruption. This is something the country cannot tolerate," he added.
Gogoi had gone to the Dharmapur area to take stock of the flood situation. He was allegedly attacked with sticks and sharp weapons, and suffered head injuries.
Gogoi alleges he was attacked at the behest of Assam`s Agriculture Minister Nilamani Sen Deka. He has been admitted to the Nalbari Civil Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam