Cong workers` attack on Gogoi can`t be tolerated: Kejriwal
New Delhi: A day after RTI activist Akhil Gogoi was attacked by suspected youth Congress activists in Assam`s Nalbari District, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday slammed the Central government, saying that this was something the country cannot tolerate.
"Yesterday, Akhil Gogoi was attacked by some people in a village when he had gone to take stock of the flood situation in that particular place. It is being said that the people who attacked him were youth Congress workers. He was alone and it seems some media people protected him. With the kind of attack he faced, he would have been killed, if media persons had not saved him," Kejriwal said.
"He (Akhil Gogoi) is a credible voice against corruption. He has been raising his voice against corruption for many years. And now, at the centre, the Congress refuses to pass strong Lokpal Bill against corruption. The, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is stoutly defending 15 ministers against whom there are charges of corruption," he said.
"The prime minister is defending the corruption of Congress leaders rather than investigating. And at local level, the Congress workers attack those people who raise their voice against corruption. This is something the country cannot tolerate," he added.
Gogoi had gone to the Dharmapur area to take stock of the flood situation. He was allegedly attacked with sticks and sharp weapons, and suffered head injuries.
Gogoi alleges he was attacked at the behest of Assam`s Agriculture Minister Nilamani Sen Deka. He has been admitted to the Nalbari Civil Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video