Cong writes to PM for safe return of Indians from Iraq
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday approached Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking the Centre`s assistance to bring back Indians stranded in Iraq ravaged by violence.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, former MP and Congress spokesperson P C Chacko said there are 46 nurses and paramedics from Kerala who are trapped in hospitals in Iraq and called Congress leaders over telephone narrating their sad plight.
He also said Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy also received such distress calls and has already written a letter to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj requesting assistance from the central government for repatriation of the Indian workforce stranded in Iraq.
"On behalf of Indians and Keralites and in view of the precarious situation in strife-torn Iraq, I shall request your kindest intervention for a high-level intercession with the government of Iraq to ensure the safety, security, evacuation and repatriation of Indian workforce trapped in that country," Chacko said in the letter.
Noting that several Indians are stranded in the towns of Mosul, Kirkuk and Tikrit, he said these people have reported that there is no law and order in violence-affected areas and the streets are flooded with arms-wielding rebels.
"They are living without food and water and fear for their lives. They are pleading for the intervention of the government of India in granting them protection and aiding their safe evacuation and repatriation," Chacko said.
Talking to reporters separately, Chacko said he has urged the Centre to take effective steps to ensure the safe return of Indians trapped in Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi