Congratulations pour in for Pranab Mukherjee from CMs, governors
New Delhi: Congratulations poured in from across the country for Pranab Mukherjee over his victory in Presidential poll on Sunday, with leaders expressing the hope that the nation will achieve greater heights during his tenure in Rashtrapati Bhawan.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who had kept everyone in suspense over supporting Mukherjee till the last minute, was among the first to call him. The chief minister told PTI that she had spoken to Mukherjee over telephone after his victory over PA Sangma.
Banerjee, who had in a U-turn announced the support of Trinamool Congress for him just two days before the July 19 election, said she had agreed to his request to attend his swearing-in ceremony.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, whose National Conference had supported Mukherjee, expressed hope that he will visit the state soon.
"We are sure he will be a great President and the nation will benefit from the vast experience that he has gathered over his long and illustrious career.
"We look forward to receive him in Srinagar when he comes to see the tulips," Omar said.
Reacting to Mukherjee`s victory, Omar`s father and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah said this is "most delightful news we could get".
Mukherjee is a man with vast experience and has a vision about the future of this country, he said.
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav, whose Samajwadi Party had voted for Mukherjee, said, "I congratulate UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee on his election as the President of India. I hope country will develop in his leadership."
Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "Mukherjee is an intelligent person and I hope his tenure would be good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town