Congratulations pour in for Pranab Mukherjee from CMs, governors
New Delhi: Congratulations poured in from across the country for Pranab Mukherjee over his victory in Presidential poll on Sunday, with leaders expressing the hope that the nation will achieve greater heights during his tenure in Rashtrapati Bhawan.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who had kept everyone in suspense over supporting Mukherjee till the last minute, was among the first to call him. The chief minister told PTI that she had spoken to Mukherjee over telephone after his victory over PA Sangma.
Banerjee, who had in a U-turn announced the support of Trinamool Congress for him just two days before the July 19 election, said she had agreed to his request to attend his swearing-in ceremony.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, whose National Conference had supported Mukherjee, expressed hope that he will visit the state soon.
"We are sure he will be a great President and the nation will benefit from the vast experience that he has gathered over his long and illustrious career.
"We look forward to receive him in Srinagar when he comes to see the tulips," Omar said.
Reacting to Mukherjee`s victory, Omar`s father and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah said this is "most delightful news we could get".
Mukherjee is a man with vast experience and has a vision about the future of this country, he said.
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav, whose Samajwadi Party had voted for Mukherjee, said, "I congratulate UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee on his election as the President of India. I hope country will develop in his leadership."
Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "Mukherjee is an intelligent person and I hope his tenure would be good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves