Congress again justifies Ramlila crackdown
New Delhi: Charging Ramdev with going back on his words to end his indefinite fast, Union minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has defended the midnight police action against the Yoga guru saying it helped in preventing casualties.
The Parliamentary Affairs Minister, who was one of the interlocutors who held parleys with Ramdev, also scoffed at suggestions that the government was arrogant in dealing with the situation.
"He (Ramdev) said he would withdraw it (the agitation) in the afternoon of the first day (June 4). And he did not...after a sort of agreement between the government and Ramdev, when we found that the things were getting out of hands, he
was sticking to what he had said, the government had to take that action," Bansal a TV news channel.
The minister also sought to defend the decision to crackdown at Ramlila ground at the middle of the night.
"If police were to reach that place in the morning when Ramdev was exhorting something to people, the reaction of the people would have been very violent...led to at least a 100 deaths," he said.
Asked why the people at Ramlila ground were not given a reasonable deadline to leave the venue, Bansal said midnight was the "only time" when the government could have taken action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know