Congress allies slam petrol price hike
New Delhi: Congress` allies on Friday slammed the steep hike in the petrol price with a key UPA constituent Trinamool Congress talking in terms of pulling out of the
government as indications emerged that a partial roll-back of the increase may be on the cards.
In a bid to put pressure on the government, the Trinamool Congress, the second largest constituent of the UPA with 18 MPs, held an emergency meeting of its Parliamentary Party its after which Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said leaders
favoured withdrawal of support but she has stayed such a move.
"Our withdrawal of support may result in fall of the government. But since the Prime Minister is away, we want to discuss with him and have sought an appointment with him," she said.
Banerjee said Congress was dependent on the support of allies like the Trinamool Congress, NCP and DMK to run the government but the allies have been silenced and not heard in the Cabinet.
Allies like NCP and National Conference also expressed their discomfort with the petrol price hike and sought a reconsideration of the decision.
Even as allies mounted pressure, the oil marketing companies ruled out a roll back of their yesterday`s decision but said they would cut the rate if government gives them a directive.
Congress sources indicated that a "partial rollback" of the hike could happen in the next few days after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s return from G-20 summit in France.
A senior party leader, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the allies would be consulted after Prime Minister`s return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt