Congress always bounces back after major reverses: Khurshid
New Delhi: Union Minister Salman Khurshid on Wednesday dismissed the suggestion that lack of connect with the grassroot cost Congress dearly in the recent Assembly polls, saying the party has always bounced back after suffering major reverses.
"I am not ready to accept that we are not connected to the grassroots. We have won much more times then we have lost. Indira Gandhi lost the elections and came back to power after 18 months...Shall we say she was not connected to grassroots," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Replying to questions, Khurshid said the results were a reflection of a vibrant democracy in which the voters at times support the policies of the incumbent government and sometimes vote for an alternative.
Asked if he considers AAP a challenge, he said, "We consider every election as a challege, or else how can we fight elections."
He refused to comment on a report that Nandan Nilekani was being considered as one of the probables for PM candidate by Congress.
"...Whatever decision our leadership takes, we abide by that and move forward. I am proud of my party leadership and its philosophy," he said.
On the issue of release of merchant navy captain Sunil James from a Togo jail, he said the matter was a "sensitive issue and an issue of human rights and of humanity. We will do whatever is possible."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video