Congress always bounces back after major reverses: Khurshid
New Delhi: Union Minister Salman Khurshid on Wednesday dismissed the suggestion that lack of connect with the grassroot cost Congress dearly in the recent Assembly polls, saying the party has always bounced back after suffering major reverses.
"I am not ready to accept that we are not connected to the grassroots. We have won much more times then we have lost. Indira Gandhi lost the elections and came back to power after 18 months...Shall we say she was not connected to grassroots," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Replying to questions, Khurshid said the results were a reflection of a vibrant democracy in which the voters at times support the policies of the incumbent government and sometimes vote for an alternative.
Asked if he considers AAP a challenge, he said, "We consider every election as a challege, or else how can we fight elections."
He refused to comment on a report that Nandan Nilekani was being considered as one of the probables for PM candidate by Congress.
"...Whatever decision our leadership takes, we abide by that and move forward. I am proud of my party leadership and its philosophy," he said.
On the issue of release of merchant navy captain Sunil James from a Togo jail, he said the matter was a "sensitive issue and an issue of human rights and of humanity. We will do whatever is possible."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das