Congress announces reshuffle ahead of Union Cabinet rejig
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Congress on Sunday announced a new working committee ahead of a much talked about rejig of the Union Cabinet which will take place tomorrow evening, a Rashtrapati Bhawan spokesperson said.
Speaking to the press, party leader Janardan Dwivedi announced 12 general secretaries and 42 secretaries for the Congress.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will look after frontal organisations while senior party leader Digvijaya Singh has been made general secretary of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Goa.
Ajay Maken, CP Joshi, Ambika Soni, Shakeel Ahmed and Gurudas Kamat have been made new AICC general secretaries.
Maken will now be heading the (Congress) media cell, renamed as the communications department which will now include the media department of the party. Priya Dutt will be assisting Maken as secretary. CP Joshi will now look after West Bengal, Assam and Andaman Nicobar islands.
Making largescale changes in the organisation, Congress President Sonia Gandhi retained Ahmed Patel as her political secretary but significantly made Ambika Soni as general secretary incharge of the Congress President’s Office (CPO).
Soni was the political secretary before Patel replaced her nearly a decade ago. Soni had also held the charge of CPO earlier. Madhusudan Mistri, who hails from Gujarat and is considered close to Rahul, got the charge of key Uttar Pradesh.
Moti Lal Vohra will continue to be the treasurer.
Hariprasad will look after Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Odisha assisted by Bhakta Charan Das, Shubhankar Sarkar and Tara Chand Bhagora.
Oscar Fernandes, Vilas Muttamwar, Ghulam Nabi Azad and Birender Singh were dropped as general secretaries. Among the incharges of various States who failed to get re-nomination were Jagmeet Singh Brar, Jagdish Tytler and Gulchain Singh Charak.
Those who have been elevated as general secretaries include Mohan Prakash, Shakeel Ahmed and Luizinho Faleiro who were earlier Permanent Invitees to Congress Working Committee (CWC) and incharge of various States.
However, sources have suggested that the changes in the Cabinet are likely to be effected on Tuesday.
This will probably be the last reshuffle in the Manmohan Singh Cabinet before the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, which are less than a year away.
The reshuffle-cum-expansion is expected to be utilised by PM to fill several vacancies in his Council of Ministers.
As per sources, Mallikarjun Kharge could be made the new Railway Minister.
The latest vacancies in the Council of Ministers were created by the resignations of Union Ministers PK Bansal and Ashwani Kumar.
Bansal quit as Railways Minister last month in the wake of bribery scandal involving his nephew and a Railway Board member.
Kumar resigned as Law Minister following a controversy over vetting of a CBI probe report on coal blocks allocation scam.
Earlier today, CP Joshi also stepped down as Cabinet Minister after Ajay Maken. Both of them had handed over their resignations last night. Their resignations were today accepted by President Pranab Mukherjee with immediate effect, a Rashtrapati Bhawan communique said.
Congress reshuffle: Full list
CP Joshi: Assam, Bihar, West Bengal & Andaman-Nicobar
Janardhan Dwivedi: AICC, CWC organisational elections, sessions and co-ordination
BK Hariprasad: Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Odisha
Gurudas Kamat: Gujarat, Rajasthan, Dadra & Nagar Haveli
Digvijaya Singh: Andhra Pradesh , Goa, Karnataka
Madhusudan Mistry: UP, Central Election Committee
Luizinho Faleiro: Arunachal, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim. Tripura, Manipur
Shakeel Ahmed: Delhi, Harayana, Punjab, Chandigarh
Mukul Wasnik: Kerala, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu, Lakshwadeep
Mohan Prakash: Madhya Pradesh , Maharashtra
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'