Congress attacks Anna for justifying slapping
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday hit out at Anna
Hazare saying he should not call himself Gandhian as he
"It is unfortunate that a man like him who is so
experienced, is speaking in favour of propagating violence. He
should not call himself Gandhian because these views are not
in line with Mahatma Gandhi`s ideology. It is unfortunate that
he is supporting violence," party spokesperson Renuka
She was reacting to Hazare`s remarks that a person is
left with no option but to slap when his power of tolerance of
corruption runs out.
Talking to reporters in his native village Ralegaon
Siddhi last night, Hazare said, "When a man`s power of
tolerance runs out, then whoever is in front of you, if a slap
is given, then the brain is put back in place. That is the
only road open now".
Hazare made the remarks after watching the Hindi film
`Gali Gali Chor Hai` based on the common man`s fight against
On November 24 last year, Hazare had sparked a row by
appearing to approve of the slapping of Union Minister Sharad
Pawar by a youth in Delhi. He had, however, later condemned
the attack on Pawar.
Condemning Hazare`s remarks, AICC general secretary
Digvijay Singh said his respect for Hazare has "gone down"
after this statement.
"I had always believed him (Hazare) to be a Gandhian, a
practitioner of non-violence. But with the kind of violent
streak he is showcasing, my respect for him has declined. I
condemn the statement," Singh said.
Union Minister Sachin Pilot also found Hazare`s remarks
"contrary to the essence of our culture".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum