Congress attacks BJP for continuing with Gen VK Singh as minister
New Delhi: The Congress Tuesday attacked the BJP government for continuing with former Indian Army chief Gen VK Singh as a central minister despite submitting an affidavit in the apex court which found fault with his decision to put current army chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag under a disciplinary ban.
Calling the affidavit submitted by the central government a "vote of no confidence" in the minister, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said: "I don`t think that (that) member of the council of ministers can continue. It is a matter of detail whether he is removed or resigns."
Gen VK Singh is minister of state for the Development of North Eastern Region (independent charge) as well as external affairs and overseas Indian affairs.
In response to a petition challenging Gen. Suhag`s appointment in the Supreme Court, the defence ministry said Gen VK Singh`s decision to put the next army chief under a disciplinary probe was "without any basis or material on record". Gen Bikram Singh, who succeeded Gen VK Singh, had revoked the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees