Congress attacks BJP for continuing with Gen VK Singh as minister
New Delhi: The Congress Tuesday attacked the BJP government for continuing with former Indian Army chief Gen VK Singh as a central minister despite submitting an affidavit in the apex court which found fault with his decision to put current army chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag under a disciplinary ban.
Calling the affidavit submitted by the central government a "vote of no confidence" in the minister, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said: "I don`t think that (that) member of the council of ministers can continue. It is a matter of detail whether he is removed or resigns."
Gen VK Singh is minister of state for the Development of North Eastern Region (independent charge) as well as external affairs and overseas Indian affairs.
In response to a petition challenging Gen. Suhag`s appointment in the Supreme Court, the defence ministry said Gen VK Singh`s decision to put the next army chief under a disciplinary probe was "without any basis or material on record". Gen Bikram Singh, who succeeded Gen VK Singh, had revoked the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India
- G20 nations warn of Brexit risk to global growth
- Flood threat: Water level on rise in various rivers in Bihar; Kosi, Bagmati flow above danger mark
- Our plan was to bowl maiden overs against West Indies, says Umesh Yadav